This past week has been all about porcelain seeds. I made 16 solid bulbs and fit them to each opening in the pod. I then cut each bulb in half, hollowed them out, and reattached them, patching the seams and smoothing the surfaces.

I also added little nubs into the bottom of each cavern and cut out the bottom of each seed and replaced it with soft clay, so that when I placed a seed into its crevasse, it created a latch-key mechanism to hold the seeds in place through firing. I placed a couple of sheets of toilet paper in between the sandy red clay and the smooth porcelain seeds, so that the two bodies don’t mix.

IMG_5923IMG_5925IMG_5919IMG_5920

The last step of the process was to cut the bottom of the pod to balance the weight. For the past few weeks I have been working with a foam bumper under the bottom of the heavier side, so that the whole piece didn’t tip over. Today I cut it at a different angle, duct-taped a coarse sheet of sandpaper to a wheel, and sanded down the bottom of the seed pod.

IMG_5922

Pure innovation.

This piece is now ready for firing and glazing! It took a lot of trial and error to figure out how to build it, but I’m really happy with how it turned out and I’m excited to start a new project.